Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 215 - My Big Girl and Daddy's Almost Birthday

Today was a day of proud moments. Sienna consistently went pee on the toilet completely on her own. Zero help. Didn't even mention it most of the time, just walked in, took off her skirt and underwear, went, hopped down, wiped, flushed and washed completely independently. It was awesome! She has also retired her stool and "Dora seat" so she's just a big girl on the toilet now. My approach to potty training has been totally laid back. It all started at 15-16 months when she was showing a lot of interest. I was talking to my mother in law about it and she said something along the lines of "sure get her a seat or a potty and give it a go, there's no harm." So that's what we did. I had zero intention of having her "trained" so early so the casual, take it as it came method really worked for us. By 18 months she was in underwear. Most people would say that she wasn't potty trained, but that Kyle and I were parent potty trained. Meaning we had to ask her if she had to go or make sure she went every few hours if she hadn't. Well, that was fine with us. No diapers at 18 months (except at bedtime)...uh HELL YA. So anyway, today was a great accomplishment. She was so pleased with herself and we were so proud.

Second proud moment:
Yes the second one was quite the belly flop (you can hear Kyle gasp actually haha) but she was fine and it was fabulous :)

She has insisted all summer that she needed to be "a lot more grown up" to jump off the diving board. She had jumped off once before with me "catching" her but she thought it was "too scary." This was completely on her own. No one was even in the pool. Amazing :D

My parents got home last night from their trip to Winnipeg. They were there visiting my Uncle Todd and Aunt Lois and also my mom's good friend Patti (wayyyy back...like when we lived in North Delta and I was still in diapers way back). Patti was so sweet and sent a little gift for the new baby which also included a little something for Sienna. For the future we've learned not place a gift bag with a Dora colouring book sticking out the top for all little eyes to see on the table in front of Sienna. Needless to say Sienna's gift was opened. She got a Crayola Mess Free Colour Wonder colouring book (and felts), a book of Dora tattoos and a new "first reader" book. We coloured all morning. A HUGE thank you to "Auntie Patti" for the very well received present.
And last but not least...Kyle's birthday! It's actually tomorrow but (as most celebratory days seem to go in this household) we gave gifts a day early. It's my fault really. We wrapped everything and got it in order today. How do you ask a 2 1/2 year old to be patient? Impossible. I could wrap etc. on my own after she's in bed but what's the fun in that??! So, today when Daddy got home from work he got:
The shirt I ordered online (something I NEVER do). It's his favorite (well one of them) quote from The Wire, "Come at the king, you best not miss." Big hit. The pillow has been a long time coming. Kyle wakes up with a sore neck/back and headache more days than not. He's been asking for a decent pillow for a while (not straight out asking but hinting). This is the pillow. Deluxe. Fancy. I've now officially bought a pillow that came with a 3 year warranty...ridiculous I know. All I can say is this better cure him or he can go back to our $5 Zellers pillow and I'll use it haha ;)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kyle! Trev and I got those pillows last summer with our mattress purchase... heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute video of the little pool jumper! Way to go...

    ReplyDelete